Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Cookiegate Scandal of '88

I think "Sesame Street" is an ingenious piece of television. It entertains children without talking down to them, and it educates children without them realizing it. I watched it faithfully as a little girl, and I fully believe that is one of the reasons that I was reading at a 5th grade level at the age of 4. I'm not bragging...I'm just sayin'.

Something else I recently discovered is that the good folks at the Children's Television Workshop also know how to entertain the adults who are watching, be they parents who are watching with their children or are simply grown-ups watching to revisit a happy memory of childhood. Let's face it---"Sesame Street" is damn good television.

This was made apparent to me by this 1988 parody of the Iran-Contra scandal hearings. I watched it as an adult, and I literally laughed out loud throughout the entire 3 1/2 minutes.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.



No comments: